Monday, October 12, 2009

Tot School: Monday

Today was a very cold, dark and rainy day - not at all the Spring weather we're supposed to be having. So Andy and I made the best of it and kept busy indoors.

I made Andy a set of Montessori Sandpaper Numerals. I asked my Dad last week to cut pieces of hardboard for me with his machine and we went to go fetch it this weekend. I printed out some numbers, onto scrap paper, and had to alter the numbers 4, 6 and 9 slightly to make it like the Montessori Sandpaper Numerals that you buy.

Printed numbers (I used the upside down 6 as the 9), hardboard (cut to 11cm x 9cm), sandpaper...


To trace the numbers I drew the outline of the reversed number with a pencil onto the back of the sandpaper...


I cut out all the numbers and placed them onto their bases to be glued...


I glued them with clear drying glue suitable for wood and put them under a heavy book to be pressed. When they were dry we put them onto our tray to enjoy...


Andy absolutely loves this. We focused on the numbers 0 - 5 today and we traced each one a few times while saying what number it is...


Then I set them out and asked Andy to e.g. "find number four" he then pointed out the number tracing it and repeating the number while tracing...


He asked me if he could paint so he spent some time creating whales and sharks...


Tea time I gave Andy 2 oatmeal biscuits to have with his Rooibos tea and left the packet on the counter so next thing I knew he had served himself the remainder of the packet...


Of coarse I gave him a few and packed the rest away so when I looked again he was 'recklessly' looking for them...


I spent most of the afternoon sewing on Andy's pajamas and his cousins 7th birthday present and I also made this drawstring bag for Andy to collect things from nature in it when we go on walks...


Some close ups of the embroidery I did...




Because it was a very rainy day and we couldn't go for a walk Andy asked if he could put his beans in it...


Admiring Mommy's handiwork... :)

1 comment: